When the doctor came in he held up lots of lenses while looking into her eyes for reaction and after a while determined she needed a stronger prescription. The new lens improved her corrected vision in the left eye from 20/200 to 20/80. He said it is difficult to get an accurate prescription right away on kids because they make so many compensations to improve their sight.
We will continue patching daily for 2 hours. I'm hoping the new lens will make it easier for her to be patched so she will be more compliant in that area.
The doctor was pleased with the improvement and encouraged us to continue pressing on because it is making a difference. He said he wasn't promising 20/20 vision in the poor eye but there was still a lot of room for improvement. He also reminded us that our time is short. We have until around her 8th birthday to make improvement. After that no more change is possible.
The doctor shared a story about a patient who just turned 9 that he'd been working with for years on the same condition. Her vision was like Sadie Lynne's when we discovered her problem-perfect in one eye and 20/400 in the other. He said now that child's vision is 20/25 in her poor eye!!! I was thrilled to hear again that it is possible!
We will go for our next appointment in 5 weeks and see how the new lens is working.
3 comments:
We will pray her eyes continue to improve! I'm a little behind so I don't know exactly what's wrong with them, but it sounds like it has probably been a struggle. Between mine & Wyatt's eyes, we figured our kids would be BORN with glasses, but we haven't had trouble so far.
Your kids sound so sweet! We need more pics so we can watch them grow up! =)
Take care,
Daisy
We will keep praying about the whole situation. It sounds like she is making some great progress though. I love being able to keep up with you all through the blog. Love you all, Christy
I'll keep her my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment